Friday, October 1, 2010

Snowflake

Tyler Durden: Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.


Ah.. to be young and idiotic... I remember it well. It was so much easier back then.. to not care.. or not pretend to care. If you build a wall big enough around you, no one can ever hurt you again, right? Yeah, right. 

Of course we're all just organic matter, hurtling through space without any rhyme or reason but we're also human. And one of our basic human needs is love and affection. I know... you can all puke now.

imgTag


But it's true. I don't know why people try to hide this fact from others. We all feel the same way. In this respect, we're not "special snowflakes" because we all want and need the same things.

We need people in our lives. Life is meant to be shared with others and to be full of joy and companionship. I'm not even talking about romantic companionship here. I know how lonely those can feel and I've learnt very quickly that one true friend is sometimes all you need. It helps to have someone to share your hopes and dreams, your fears and insecurities, your laughter and tears.

imgTag 

I know how hard it can be to feel like no one cares. I know how lonely it can be when you dont know who to turn to. I've been amazed at the love I've received from friends and strangers alike. I strive to be there for those that are in need because there is nothing like the feeling of giving back.

I've been touched this week by some amazing people. In giving and receiving, I've learned so much about love. I urge you all to reach out to someone in need... or, if you're in need... ask for help. I promise... it will be worth the effort.
 
imgTag

2 comments:

  1. "But it's true. I don't know why people try to hide this fact from others. We all feel the same way."
    I would suggest its A.)a fear of being vulnerable; and B.) a fear of being let down/disappointed/rejected/etc.

    I passed a park bench with a friend the other day and he told me the bench was bought for an old friend who died poor & on the streets. He was a very well off jewelery distributor but lost everything when a big retailer went bankrupt and then lost his family, home, and everything. So why didn't this person ask his many great friends for help? The entrepreneurial personality generally doesn't like to feel weak or in need. More importantly, I would suggest North American (in this case) culture doesn't encourage or accept asking for help, we are expected to "stand on our own 2 feet".

    Just my $0.02

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. :)
    Those fears are real... and people *do* let you down. But I'd hate to miss out on something amazing because of fear.

    The independent spirit is a great ideal.. but I think we still need to have connections with others. At least in this modern world we can do it online with people from across the oceans...
    with people who've actually seen snowflakes. Now that's special. :)

    ReplyDelete